Thursday, May 21, 2020

Walking the Trail

Yesterday I hiked the section of the Superior Hiking Trail between Enger Tower and the lift bridge. Descending the hill took me through Central Park which is undeveloped. I saw two former homeless encampments and one current encampment. That part was a little sketchy, Some of the walk is very urban. I waved at cars as I walked the pedestrian overpass over Highway 35. Most drivers smartly kept their eyes on the road. One waved back.

I didn't know Duluth had a statue of liberty?!

Today I finished hiking the Martin Road to Linsmore Road section bringing me up to 18 completed miles on the Superior Hiking Trail (or maybe 36 because I have to walk back to my car again). Today I heard American toads, chorus frogs and spring peepers. I heard white crowned sparrows and oven birds singing. Once a couple of barred owls were having a hooting conversation which I thought was unusual for the middle of the day. A couple times I heard grouse drumming. I'm not sure if the grouse make an actual sound or I can just feel the vibrations in my chest. I walked for hours without any sign of civilization except the blue signs painted on the tree to let me know I am not lost. Those blue signs are very comforting.

The new leaves on the aspen are chartreuse and very lovely. Today I walked eight miles; a new record.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...