Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Because of Winn-Dixie

I read Because of Winn-Dixie years ago but I read it again. Today there was a book club meeting of "One Book/One Minnesota." I attended the zoom meeting where Kate DeCamillo and a librarian from Saint Paul presided. Attenders of the book club could offer questions to Kate via the chat feature. Kate was totally charming and welcomed any and all questions about the writing process.  She read us the last chapter of the book aloud. Kate is a big supporter of public libraries. I enjoyed rereading this book about Opal who moves to a new town with her father and tries to make friends. Winn-Dixie, the dog, helps her make connections with others. Some of the readers want the author to write a sequel. One reader wrote her a letter suggesting eleven sequels and what should be included in each one. I had to laugh at that. How great it is that Kate's writing inspired a young reader to write such a forceful and directive letter to her.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...