Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Free Seed Library

I had my orientation to the DCGP (Duluth Community Garden Program) last weekend via zoom. I learned about free seed libraries around town. I looked up the four locations. The closest one to me was 1.2 miles away. I took a walk down there to check it out. The contents of this free seed library, if I had to describe it in one word, was sad. Inside I found 3 packets of seeds. One was a mostly empty winter squash packet dated 2010. The second packet was also winter squash from 2010 but it had more contents than the first one. The last packet was of sweet corn and the date on that package was 2007. I thought about taking the 13 year old corn seeds but I put them back. This seed library was sad enough without me taking any seeds out of it. I will buy my own seeds and put my leftovers into the box for someone else to take.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...