Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Split Rock Loop Trail

I joined the North Country Trail Challenge for the month of May. The challenge is to walk 100 miles during May. Not all miles have to be on a trail which is great because walking a trail takes a lot longer than walking on a paved or gravel path. Today I walked 5 miles and it took me three and a half hours. On a paved path I walk walk five miles in an hour and a half. The trail I walked today was the Split Rock loop trail from the parking area on Highway 61 uphill along the west bank of the river. The walk was very scenic. I had to keep my eyes on the path mostly because I walked over rocks, roots and other things that could make me stumble.

This camp site on the Superior Hiking trail means I made it the full 2.5 miles.

Once there was a bridge here across Split Rock River but it is need of repair. I can see pieces of the former bridge on the west and east side of the river. Without this bridge this is not a loop trail. I just turned around and walked back down.

Walking uphill I noticed this nest between the path and the river. On my way back I saw there were two nests; a big one above and a little one below. A bird duplex I guess.

2 comments:

PCRalph said...

I really enjoyed walking this trail too! It was very cool to encounter the natural monoliths that might have been the origins of the Split Rock name. STILL no bridge!!??!! Wow. I came upon the missing bridge two years ago. Younger folk more adventurous than me went rock hopping to the other side but it looked too risky to me. A beautiful hike even if you end up going back the same way!

Sue said...

Ha! I thought about rock hopping too but I didn't chance it. I wasn't sure if the other side was really the other side or just and island.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...