Monday, May 11, 2020

Wood sorrel?
The Superior Hiking trail goes left while the North Shore State Trail goes straight.
 Today I hiked a segment of the Superior Hiking Trail. I started at the Martin Road Trail head. I parked my car and followed the hiking trail that, for this segment, joined with the North Shore State Trail. This made for a well marked trail because the North Shore State Trail if for snowmobiles to use. I hiked around a gravel pit and along some land owned by the University of Minnesota. I crossed four roads. This segment ends up at Linsmore Road and is a 6.9 mile segment. I am not able to hike 6.9 miles and back again in the same day so I thought I would hike for 3 miles when the Superior Hiking Trail left the North Shore State Trail and then go back to my car. On another day I could park at the Linsmore Road trail head and hike back down to where I got to today. I saw some wild flowers. I'm not sure but the picture on the left could be wood sorrel.  This trail had some sections that were muddy, some sections were dry, and some sections were underwater. I wore my all weather shoes but three times the water went over the top of the shoes and soaked inside my shoes. Gross! And cold too! Why did I wear white socks when brown would have been a better choice? I kept hiking though. After one foot wetting episode I stopped and pondered if what I was doing was the prudent thing to do today. Just then a shadow passed in front of me. I looked up. The shadow of the bald eagle soaring overhead beat the appearance of the eagle by about five seconds. In my opinion the eagle answered my question with a majestic approval of my hike.  I saw five other people on the hiking trail today. It's nice to see other people taking advantage of the beauty of the trail and the nice weather too.
Marsh Marigolds on a soggy trail.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...