Sunday, May 24, 2020

Oh, Sweet Canada!

Today I completed the 3.2 mile section of the Superior Hiking Trail between Linsmore Road and Normanna Road. Sometimes I come upon signs like this that explain timber harvest areas. I've seen signs where timer was harvested in various years such as 2014, 2012, 2008 and even 2002. This section was harvested two years ago.

The recently harvested sections are not pretty to walk through. 

About half of this hike was on a foot path and half on a state trail. This trail went over the French River. Yesterday I was bothered by a few gnats. Today I had no gnats but the mosquitoes were terrible. I stopped to look at a wood frog by my feet and the swarm of mosquitoes between my face and my shoe was appalling! The wood ticks were worse too. I picked three wood ticks off my hat and five off my pants. Today I heard chorus frogs and green frogs. I heard red eyed vireos for the first time this year along with common yellowthroat, blue  jays, pileated woodpeckers, and the white throated sparrow. The white throated sparrow sings, "Oh, sweet Canada Canada Canada." I heard a lot of them. Some repeated Canada three times. Most birds said Canada four times. Once bird said Canada twice. One bird said Canada seven times. I have completed 24.9 consecutive miles on the Superior Hiking Trail plus five miles on the Split Rock Loop.





No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...