Friday, May 29, 2020

Fight Of The Century

I read this book by a collection of writers and it wasn't about a boxing match between Joe Frasier and Mohammed Ali. This collection of essays is about the campaigns the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has taken to the Supreme Court. The ACLU is dedicated to liberty and justice for all. The ACLU fought for Nazi's to parade down a predominantly Jewish neighborhood of Skokie, Illinois in 1977. That was one of the most unpopular cases it took on. Even if what people say is abhorrent, the ACLU believes people have a right to free speech. My reading of Fight of the Century: Writers Reflect on 100 Years of Landmark ACLU Cases was, at times, slow and tedious, I am glad I persevered. This year is the 100th anniversary of the founding of the ACLU. I think our democracy would be much different without the existence of this non-profit agency.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...