Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A Book of Longings

Sue Monk Kidd's new novel The Book of Longings was just published in April, 2020. I read it in about a day. The story is about Ana. When the book starts Ana is 14 years old and she lives with her greedy parents and an aunt named Yaltha. Ana is interested in writing stories. Her father taught her how to read and write.  Her parents try to marry her off to an old rich man in exchange for political favors but she resists. Next they try to marry her as a second wife to a political leader in Galilee. Ana ends up marrying 18 year old Jesus (yes, that Jesus) and moves to Nazareth. I thought the book was written in a delicate manner staying close to the historical facts of the time. I wasn't sure how such a daring topic could be accomplished but I think the author did a good job.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...