Sunday, October 28, 2007

Do You Like the Sound of Trains?

This morning I was talking to a friend of mine from St. Cloud. She lives next to the tracks. St. Cloud has a lot of train tracks that run along Hwy. 10. She usually calls me when she is outside walking her cat, Lucifer. So when a train goes by, conversation ends because we can't hear each other until the train has passed. Lucky for her, she likes the sound of trains. I like the sound of trains too - when they're several miles away. I don't think I would like living as close to the tracks as she does. This afternoon I went to Orchestra hall to hear folk music played. Peter Ostrousko played the mandolin and the fiddle. He says that since he grew up on Nicollet Island in Minneapolis, he is the best mandolin player on neither side of the Mississippi. He played Orange Blossom Special - a folk tune where the fiddle imitates the sound of a train. I like that song. His fiddle imitated a train, then the whole orchestra imitated a train and they went back and forth. It was fun. The above picture is of the Eurostar - a train we took from London to Paris.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...