Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween costumes

I had a conversation at work yesterday that went like this:

"Hello Sue."

"Hello L___, whats up?"

"What are you doing this weekend?"
"I'm going to a concert on Sunday, how about you?"

"I have a Halloween potluck tomorrow. Last night I went to the Halloween dance."

"Really? Did you wear a costume?"

"I was a satyr."
Here I paused. Maybe I heard wrong.

"What did you say? I didn't get it."

"I was a satyr."

She said satyr. So I said, "Really? Half goat, half person?"

"No, a satyr."

"OK, a satyr. What did your costume look like?"

"I had a sash."

Now I am picturing a half goat, half person beauty contest winner. I see a purple silk sash with the words, "Anoka County Satyr" across it. So I say, "you were a satyr for Halloween."

"No," she says patiently, "A satyr, like on the Love Boat."


A lightbulb goes off above my head. "Oh, a sailor. I know sailors. Saying Love Boat really helped me get it. Thanks L___."

We go on our way. She must think I am really thick headed.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...