Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Driving Cross Country

Although it was a two day drive there and a two day drive back, I really enjoyed my time on the road. My car works great. Going east through Chicago was the roughest part. The wind was blowing dust and sand. Then it started to rain forming mud on the windshield. The road had a detour. Due to construction we were on a tight two land road surrounded by concrete barriers. I'm grateful no one broke down because there was no room to pull off the road. Then it got windier and started raining harder forcing me to put the windshield wipers on double time. I still couldn't see the road signs and missed my turn. I figured it out eventually and got myself on track. The turnpike is great. Indiana flies by. Ohio is slower but Pennsylvania is very beautiful. Coming back I passed a sign marking the Appalachian trail. I followed the Erie Canal along I90. By the time I got back to Chicago the second time, I was tired of driving on cruise control using only my eyes and arms. I wanted some slower driving with open windows. So I drove through downtown Chicago in the middle of the morning. I don't recommend you take pictures while you drive but here is a photo of the Chicago traffic - not real bad. There was some stop and go traffic. I had an opportunity to open the windows, turn off the book on CD, and listen to some tunes. Chicago has MANY good rock and roll stations. I was rocking out to "Tainted Love" at a high volume and having a real good time through the town. After 45 minutes of city driving I was back on the interstate and soon in Wisconsin - the last state before home. Wisconsin can be a long drive but I poured some of my cooler of ice water into my traveling jug and chomped on ice all the way through the state. Ice chomping and the book, "Out Stealing Horses" helped pass the time and soon I was in St. Paul just in time for the afternoon rush hour. I had a good trip but maybe next time I'll fly out there.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...