Saturday, August 23, 2008

Oppossum


Today I had the opportunity to volunteer in the DNR building at the State Fair. I was assigned to a position in the wildlife annex, next to the opossum. I was there from 9 a.m. until noon, answering questions and joking with the viewers. I got to watch people's faces as they found the opossum on the wall close to me. Reactions vary to the opossum. Among other verbal reactions, I heard: awesome! Ewwwww! Suh-weet! Looks like a rat! Adorable! U-u-ugly! One thing that surprised me was I saw little kids, 4 or 5 years old, tell their parent, "Look, possum!" I was surprised such little people knew the name of this animal. I had some adults, middle aged adults, ask me what the heck that animal is. One guy thought it was a sloth. I saw a couple little kids point and name such things as red fox, garter snake, woodpecker, and mourning dove. Such short little naturalists they are - their parents have raised them well. One fellow stopped by to tell me how global warming has moved possum up to Minnesota when they never used to go north of Missouri. Hours later another fellow gave me a lecture on how it's not global warming that caused the possum to migrate north. He said possum have moved north because of their territorial natures and the fact no one shoots them anymore with the anti-gun sentiment and all. I had a great morning in the DNR building. Volunteering there gave me a great outlet to people watch and mix with the public. Many people told me it was a great building so I said "Thank you," (as if I had anything to do with it). I think it's a great building too. Before and after my shift I had to go to the employee section to get my blue vest and maps. I was able to peek behind the scenes. I saw into the fish tanks from behind. My biggest thrill was seeing Smokey the Bear's outfit. His feet and head were on a desk and his body draped over a chair. For years I have wanted to dress up in costume such as Smokey the Bear. I was tempted to try Smokey on for size but knew I shouldn't.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...