Monday, August 25, 2008

Reduced My Carbon Footprint Today


Today, for the first time, I rode my motorcycle to work. I didn't think I'd have the courage to do that for a long time but I made a trial run on Sunday and all went well.




What were the best parts? This morning, there was a thick white mist on the road near the creek and my bike and I cut right through the mist, disturbing it into swirls. On the way home, I stopped for a red light on the corner of 109th and Jefferson (Blaine). Two boys came to the fence at the day care there, put their fingers through the fence, and stared at me. I stared at them. I waved. They waved back. They watched me as I waited for the light to turn green and take off. Two future cyclists? I think so. When I stopped for gas in Ramsey and cut the engine, a huge backfire happened just as I hit the kill switch. I'm not sure it was my vehicle but it sure was a satisfying backfire.


What were the worst parts? I was cold this morning! I had gloves on but my legs and neck were freezing. My full face helmet fogged up at red lights. I ended up lifting the face guard while the light was red and slamming it back down when the light turned green. Later I coughed inside my helmet. That was strange. This made me wonder, what would it be like to sneeze with it on?
Overall, it was a great day. I had fun showing my bike to my friends at work. One asked if he could watch me leave, if I wasn't too uncomfortable. I didn't care. Tomorrow should be nice as well but I have a work out session to attend on the way home and I don't think I want the bother of hauling my work out clothes.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...