Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bat Count

Today was warm and windy so I decided to wait until 8:30 p.m. to bike Blunder around the block to do her business. The sun had set but there was still light in the sky. I was able to count the bats as I biked, starting west. Block 1 I counted 25 bat sightings. Block 2 I saw none. Block 3 I counted 7. Block 4 I counted 12. Blocks 2 and 4 are shorter than 1 and 3 but there are an inordinate amount of bats on block 1. The trees are closer together on blocks 1 and 4 and I suspect the bats congregate there because there is more food on the blocks where the trees are so close their crowns almost touch. The DNR website says the little brown myotis is our most common species of bat. In the winter they hibernate in caves and mines. I don't know of any caves or mines around here. In the summer they roost in caves, mines, hollow trees and building. I know of some hollow trees in our neighborhood but I am really curious where these bats live. Mostly I want to keep them from staying in my house!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...