Monday, November 24, 2008

The End Of An Era


The year? 1979. The job? Nuclear pharmacy technician doing quality control on bone scans, lung, scans, and brain scan injections (back in a career fumbling time of life). The setting? A nuclear pharmacy across the street from Louis' Tavern (home of great Italian sausage sandwiches) on University Avenue near Vandalia in St. Paul. This is where a coworker turned me on to a radio show called "The Morning Show." The stars of the show were Jim Ed Poole and Garrison Keillor (before Prairie Home Companion) and have been Jim Ed and Dale Connelley for the past 25 years or so. I've been listening to this show during my morning commute for almost 30 years. I am sad to say that December 11, 2008 will be the last broadcast. The Morning Show has been my companion for so long. I feel I have grown up with this show. Dale and Jim Ed are my friends. The Morning Show where I would request songs to be played for my children's birthdays. I would record the song and Jim Ed's voice announcing their name and birthday for them. The Morning Show where I came to know and love artists such as Greg Brown, Ladysmith Black Mombazo, Suzy Roche, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Leon Redbone, and Ethel Merman. I always loved the alarm before they played Ethel Merman. This is the show where I reminisced about my early years when ever they would play cowboy songs like Mule Skinner Blues or Drifting Along Like the Tumbling Tumbleweed. The Morning Show would play songs about every topic under the sun (duct tape, lime jello marshmallow cottage cheese surprise, bears dancing in the woods, sweet potatoes, rings of fire, the speed of planetary revolution, and impressionist painters). I have come to know the skit characters like Bud Buck, Captain Billy (Arrrgh!), and Dr. Larry Kyle from the Genway Corporation. I have been a faithful listener except during the weeks where they beg for money. I absolutely cannot stand the fundraising weeks. If there is a hell and if I go there, I'm sure the radio will be broadcasting fundraising appeals. In any case, I am so sad this show is ending. I will miss The Morning Show very much.
On another note, thanks to a reader and the Snopes website I know the felon website I gave you is not legit. Every time you type in your address different criminals and crimes appear. Not knowing where the felons are does not make me feel safer.

2 comments:

Balou said...

I loved their show when I was commuting. The unusual music playlist was always a tread. I liked the Anne Bolin song and would sing at the top of my voice in a bad Minnesotan Cockney accent, "with her head tucked underneath her arm, she walked the bloody tower." An era gone by.

Sue said...

Me too! "With her head tucked underneath her arm, she walked the bloody tower, with her head tucked underneath her arm in the midnight hour."

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...