Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Just The Remedy I Needed

I admit, I am a fan of Boston Legal. Ever since a friend of mine told me he watches it just to appreciate the comparison of William Shatner from his Captain James T. Kirk days, I've paid more attention. At the end of every show the characters Denny Crane, played by William Shatner and Allen Shore, played by James Spader gather on a terrace to smoke cigars and drink while seated in white leather chairs. They blow their smoke up at the urban sky and chat about their day and their love for each other. I find it very unusual and amusing to listen to two men talk about love. Last night I happened to turn it on and I swear, this was about the funniest episode I have ever seen on any show during my many years of television viewing. The two men get into a political argument. They are both upset at the other one about their chosen presidential candidate. They start out agreeing not to discuss it to preserve their friendship but Allen Shore is so upset at Denny Crane he can't help but say, "The man has had melanoma three times. If elected he'll be the oldest man ever elected president. The chances are good he will die in office. Do you seriously want Palin to be the president of our country?" That starts off the debate. As they talk their voices rise in passion. Soon they're both debating at the same time and not listening at all. The argument is getting out of hand and continues to escalate for several minutes. They're shouting words at each other like "Yes We Can." and "Bridge to No Where." and "Muslim Terrorist." They start screaming at each other, their faces red in anger and spittle flying from their lips. They're so mad they're ready to come to blows. I start to laugh at them because I can relate to how they are feeling and how ridiculous this all is. Both men have timely and good arguments. Both are passionate about their beliefs. The points they are making are all things I have read about in the newspaper and on the Internet. How can two friends oppose each other so vehemently and still remain friends? One of the men, in desperation, takes out a paintball gun and shoots the other one in the leg leaving a green stain on his pants. "My God, you shot me," he says. "That hurt." He grabs another paintball gun and shoots him back in the face. "You almost put my eye out!" shouts the other man. Both men are enraged. They shoot paint balls at each other until the entire office is covered with paint - one side with purple paint stains and the other side with green paint stains. The other staff in the office are staring in disbelief at the two men through the glass office wall. Suddenly they realize they are being observed and they both come to their senses. I can't write the scene as funny as it was on television but it was hilarious. I was laughing out loud. Tears were running out of my eyes. My belly hurt from laughing at these two men having it out on the eve of election day. The timing was perfect. At the end of the show, when they meet on the terrace for cigars and a drink, the two men apologize and are friends again. This episode of Boston Legal was just the emotional enema I needed. No matter how the election comes out, we will get through this.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...