Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm Thankful

It's true that I am frustrated by all the attention (stalking) I'm getting from the candidates. I dread the phone calls (up to six per day). The ads on television are so annoying I can't bear to listen to them. The name calling, muckraking, and accusations dishearten me. I am appalled by the number of mail ads I get. I got 7 today. These ads don't even make it into the house but are tossed into the recycling bin without even reading them. How dumb do they think I am that I would base my very important vote on some scary accusation printed on a post card? If only the billions of dollars put into this advertising were used on something other than buying my vote, like early childhood education or prescription coverage for seniors, or domestic violence prevention, the world be be a better place. As frustrated as I am, I also feel grateful because I am SO VERY FORTUNATE to be able to vote. Our system is not perfect but it is better than many. I am even more grateful after visiting Kenya earlier this year where an election occurred, people voted, the votes were tallied, and the loser was declared the winner because of political pressure. People turned to violence, neighbor against neighbor. Houses and stores were burned and women were raped. The economy suffered and tourism dropped to record low levels. The problem went on for months and is still being felt by people in the Rift Valley. So tomorrow is election day and after work I will wait in line at my polling place no matter how long it takes to cast my vote and I am grateful for that opportunity.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...