Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Anxious for Chickens



I am all set for the chickens. Here is a photo of their new home. The heat lamp is in the upper right corner of the photo. They'll start out in a 3 foot long plastic tote. I have 3 inches pine bedding down. The water container is in the upper center of the tote. The food container is on the lower left of the tote. The box in the central lower part of the tote is a sample trial size box of cheerios (minus the cheerios), cut in half and filled with chicken feed. My reference book suggests this for the first few days in case the chicks don't recognize what is food and what isn't food. I want to make it easy for them. The really dark object on the lower right of the tote is my car compass/thermometer in case the chicks don't know north from south. Kidding, to make sure the temperature is between 90 and 95 degrees to start. A friend suggested I name the chickens Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. I'll have to think about that. I need two more names. By this time tomorrow, I'll have them home.

2 comments:

Catey said...

You should name them Jack Kate Locke Sawyer Sayid and Hurley. : )
Kidding. I like the Office names better.

Sue said...

But I like the name Hurley - something to think about. Thanks for the idea!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...