Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm So Old


I was out shopping for a birthday card this week for a birthday party today. I looked the card selection over. I wanted something not too mushy, not too disrespectful, and not too cutesy. No animals doing human things - I draw the line at that. I looked over the selection. There were a bunch of "Over the Hill" cards. Most of those cards had a number on them like 30 or 40, a few 50's. So then I looked for an Happy 80th Birthday card. There were none. Then I realized, there comes an age when "Over the hill" isn't funny anymore. In fact, it would be disrespectful to give an "Over the Hill" card to someone who was way, way past the hill. That would not be funny. That would be morbid. So I decided against giving two Happy 40th Birthday "Over the Hill" cards. So when does "Over the Hill" change from being funny to morbid? At age 30, it's really funny. At age 40 it's funny. At age 50 it's kinda funny. Past that - not funny. To my horror, I realized I am too old to get an "Over the Hill" card anymore. OMG! I am so old! When did this happen? With my head hanging a little lower and my shoulders slumped forward, I selected a picturesque card with no message inside, grabbed some fiber and calcium supplements, and drove home to go to bed early.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...