Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tough Times



These are tough economic times. I personally know people who have lost their jobs. I know others who lost their homes. I work at the Blaine Human Service Center. Our building has a food shelf, a Workforce Center, and an office to apply for public assistance. Our parking lot is full every day. Cars circle the lot waiting and hoping that someone will leave so they can park their cars. I invite people to meetings and they can't get in because there is no place to park. I arrive about 7:15 a.m. so I have a place to park. Sometimes I leave for meetings and my spot is gone. When I return I end up circling the parking lot searching for an empty space. A year ago we only had these problems when there was a special event such as a job fair or a food give-away program at the food shelf. Now people have taken to creating new parking spaces in the driving lanes or on the snow covered grassy areas. The full parking lot is a sign of the tough economic times. I feel sad to see people standing in line at the food shelf. Sometimes the line goes out the door and into the lobby. On the last Wednesday of the month there is always a long line that cirlces the entire lobby. Senior citizens, some using walkers and canes, stand in line for food. My heart breaks to see them. Today Al Franken was in the lobby. I wonder why. Was he here to apply for unemployment? Can politicians get unemployment? He went past the food shelf so I know he wasn't here for that. Maybe he was here for public assistance. Today tax preparation help was available on third floor. He was probably here for that. I heard he had trouble completing his taxes accurately so that is my guess.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...