Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mother Hen in Waiting

I am little excited to be getting my chicks this week. Like any expectant mother, I've been getting the nesting instinct. I've got my temporary chick house ready (cardboard box). Thanks to a sibling I have the warming light, the feeder and the waterer ready. I stopped to buy chicken feed and bedding. My coop isn't here yet but that is alright because the chicks will stay warm and dry in the house for the first 5 or 6 weeks. Lets hope they don't peep all night long. I doubt if they can distinguish day from night with a heat lamp shining on them 24/7. If the chicks come on Wednesday or Thursday, they must have been laid on March 9 or 10. They are in the incubator right now. Soon they'll be ready to start pecking their way out of the shell. I'm starting to think about names. My chicks will all be girls. How does Pamela, Phyllis, Angela, Meredith, Kelly, and Creed sound? Maybe Dwight instead of Creed.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...