Saturday, August 7, 2010

Nice Ride

Today I went for a nice ride on the motorcycle. There was three of us. Three women. Three white bikes. Two Harleys and one Suzuki. Two motorcycles with loud pipes and one with impressively loud backfires. I have a gas problem. Sometimes I sound like a rifle shot especially when decelerating down into the St. Croix Valley. We met in Ham Lake. We traveled north east through Forest Lake, Lindstrom, Chisago City, and Taylors Falls. We traveled south in Wisconsin and stopped for a drink in Osceola. We headed south again and crossed over the St. Croix on the Stillwater lift bridge. I thought it was pretty cool to be motoring over the water. I could see the river below me. Boats were right underneath us. We headed further south on the Minnesota side through Lakeland and into Afton. I had never been to Afton before. We stopped for lunch at the Sail Away Cafe. They serve delicious food. We sat outside in a garden that had tomatoes, peppers, grapes, Swiss chard, parsley, and all kinds of flowers growing. A yellow swallowtail butterfly hovered around the purple phlox. I had never seen one before but I remembered the name from looking through my butterfly book. After lunch we took the Stagecoach Trail past the Lake Elmo airport. After that we wandered around a bit until we headed east on Highway 96 and went back to Stillwater. We headed north out of Stillwater. Just a little way out of town there is a road called Arcola Trail. It runs east off the highway and runs parallel before coming out again about 5 miles up the road. In between the first Arcola Trail and the second Arcola trail, we ran into a swarm of yellow butterflies. These weren't anything fancy like the yellow swallowtail butterfly. These were much smaller and solid yellow. The number of yellow butterflies impressed me. I'll bet I saw a hundred of them. At Marine on the St. Croix we took one of my favorite roads, number 4, west. Just out of town the roads gets curvy and hilly. Trees form a canopy over the road. We go through a small tunnel. I beeped my horn of course. My bike horn makes a road runner sound, "Meep Meep." My friend beeped her Harley in the tunnel. I burst out laughing. She sounded like a car! This road is so beautiful it could be in a movie. We went through Hugo, Centerville, Lino Lakes before heading home. I think I put on 180 miles. Nice ride!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...