Friday, August 27, 2010

Venture North



I recently discovered a public television show that I really like. The show is called "Venture North." I don't know how long it's been on. The show focuses on the Lake Superior area. Today's shows had a segment on red-shouldered hawks. I was interested because I've had a red-shouldered hawk circling my yard every day this summer. The show focused on the 40 pair of red shouldered hawks within Fort Ripley. The hawks prefer large tracts of forested land with water. Their diet consists of frogs, salamanders, and toads. The episode said the Fort Ripley hawks make up 20% of the state red-shouldered hawk population. If I figure that right, there are only 400 red shouldered hawks in the state. If that is true, I feel very fortunate to have one in my yard. I've only seen one though. If my hawk doesn't mate successfully, it may not return here. Every time I've seen this show, Venture North, I've been fascinated and intrigued by the content. If you get a chance, Venture North is worth the time to watch it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...