Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ongoing Battle

I am engaged in an ongoing battle with a nest of ground-dwelling bees. I've used poison 5 times. I put a clear plastic food container over the large hole in the ground and covered it with a brick. Still the bees survived. I sprayed some more. Bees scare me so I have to wait until it is completely dark to go out there and attack. I saw the hive entrance was completely covered in white powder. When I checked again I saw many dead bee bodies blocking the entrance. I thought I had them licked. I was tempted to dig with a shovel to explore this hive and see how big it really was. This afternoon I took my shovel out to the nest. Just to be sure I waited and watched first. Good thing I did! Bees had dug a new nest entrance three inches west of the original hole. Can you imagine what would have happened to me if I stuck my shovel into a live bee nest and opened it up to the air? Ai Carumba. As soon as it gets completely dark, I'll be out there with my flashlight and bee poison again.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...