Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Stripper Song

For some reason, I have had the stripper song in my head for days now. I walk along whistling the tune. I hum it in my head. You know the one. It's an instrumental. Hum it with me, "Da da da da, da da da da, da da da da, da DA da da, Da da (ba-boom), Da (ba-boom), Da (ba-boom). Da (ba-boom),da da da da da DA da da da. Sometimes my hips move to the ba-boom parts. It's crazy, right? How do I get this song out of my head? I've read that to get rid of an ear-wig (a song in your head) you must sing the complete lyrics and finish the tune. Well, that won't work on an instrumental song like the Stripper Song. I'm hoping that blogging about the Stripper song will remove it from my mind. So here you go. Wikepedia says the Stripper song was composed in 1958 by David Rose. The song became a hit when it was used in the movie, "Gypsy" in 1962. It's a jazzy song with prominent trombone lines. The Stripper song was used in many films including some I have seen such as the Full Monty, Wallace and Grommit, and Are You Being Served. The song was used in a PG Tips commercial and I saw that commercial at the Walker Art Center BBC Best Commercial Awards. The song was used in an American commercial that I remember seeing for Noxema shave creme. We saw a close up of a man shaving his face. His blade moved to the music. A Swedish model advised the man to "Take it off. Take it all off." Thinking back, that commercial had strong sexual content even for the 1960's. I didn't pick up on it then. I was an innnocent child. No, seriously, I was completely unaware (unlike the kids of today). The Stripper song made number one on the Billboard charts in 1962. Okay, that is done. Now the Stripper song can leave my mind. I hope I didn't put it in yours unless you wanted it there. Ba-boom.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

I can't think what song that is, but I don't want to look it up just in case it gets stuck in my head!

Sue said...

I can hum it for you! It's still running through my mind.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...