Sunday, August 22, 2010

Swimming on Sunday


Today was hot and sticky. A friend and I decided to meet halfway between our homes to go swimming. Halfway is Big Lake. There is a nice swimming beach right off Highway 10. I liked it fine except for the $5 fee. I don't think people should have to pay to go swimming. It's one of my pet peeves. In any case we did go swimming. The lake was a little crowded with people and floating pieces of weeds. They have a nice beach. Beyond the beach is a nicely mowed oak savanna. We saw quite a few twin oaks or oaks that were joined together for the first six inches and then separated into separate trunks. I tried to figure out if they were one tree that forked very low or two separate trees that grew together at the base. My guess is two trees joined together at the base. We saw at least a half dozen of these twin oaks. Big Lake has a lot of boat traffic. We watched jet skiers, water skiers, water tubers (sounds like a wet potato), and big boats go by. The boats seemed to like going right past the swimming beach creating waves for us to bob on. After swimming for over an hour we rested while we dried off. I didn't want to cross the Sunday evening traffic on Highway 10 so I headed east and rode my motorcycle around the lake. I took the back roads traveling through Orrock, Elk River, and Nowthen on my way home. What a beautiful night for a ride. The moon was full. I wished I was like E.T. and could fly up to it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...