Saturday, September 25, 2010

Age Of Innocence

I felt like reading an old classic so I read Edith Wharton's "Age of Innocence."  This book won Edith a Pulitzer Prize - the first such prize ever given to a writer who was a female.  The story is set in 1870 New York high society.  The people have servants but no cars or telephones.  Messages are sent via telegram.  Newland Archer is a man on the brink.  Should he marry his beloved May, continue working at his law firm, and do everything that his very judgemental circle expects of him?  Or should he throw it all aside and follow his heart by loving May's cousin, the mysterious, European, Countess Ellen Olenska?  Wharton does an excellent job describing an implied communication style common in some families.  What is not said is sometimes more important than what is said.  This story was made into a movie with Daniel Day-Lewis as Newland, Michelle Pfeiffer as Countess Oleska and Winona Ryder as May. I liked the story very much so I will have to add this movie to my Netflix queue.

PS Either Phyllis or Kelly laid an egg today that was the size of a baseball.  Ouch, man.  I took a picture and will try to post it on Monday. I know it was Phyllis or Kelly because they were the only two chickens who were compliant in returning to the coop when I left this afternoon for an errand.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...