Wednesday, September 22, 2010

St. Croix Pictographs


I read a blog called http://www.twincitiesnaturalist.com  Recently this blogger gave information about Native American pictographs on cliffs on the St. Croix River.  The Twin Cities Naturalist doesn't give the exact location but I think I know the place. Look at the second photo.  Does it look familiar?  Can't you just imagine an island to your immediate right?  Isn't this the spot we enjoy right before we stop for lunch?  I think it is.  The pictographs show a buffalo head and two hand prints. There is some more stuff on the lower left that I can't make out and it looks like the bottom half of the drawing broke off when part of the rock fell into the river.  Next year, when we go canoeing, remind me to look for these pictographs.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...