Thursday, September 2, 2010

Barred Owl Returns


Last night, before the storm, the barred owl was calling near my house again. I think this is the second time I've heard it this summer. I imagine the barred owl will call only if it's sure there are no great horned owls in the neighborhood. I know great horned owls nest in the nearby boy scout camp and that could explain why I'm not hearing the barred owls call as often as I used to. When I heard it call last night, I ran for my owl call. I bought an owl call last March so I could talk with the owl. I used it once before with no success. Before I could blow on my owl caller, I heard another owl in the distance to the south and east (somewhere in Andover) respond. I never heard the closer owl call again. I imagine it flew southeast. I called and called but never got a response. I'll keep trying. If I ever get an owl to respond to my call, I will be very excited.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...