Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Prayer for Owen Meany


John Irving wrote the book, "A Prayer for Owen Meany." He also wrote "Cider House Rules" and "The World According to Garp." I think I'll be reading more of John Irving books in the future because I really, really liked this one. It was long though. The story is about two men, Johnny Wheelwright and Owen Meany, who grow up together in a small town in New Hampshire. Johnny comes from a wealthy, educated, and successful family. Owen is unusually small for his age and his family is working class and less socially accepted. Owen's voice never matures. He always sounds like a little boy with a stuffy nose. Owen is intelligent, charming, motivated, and rock solid in his faith. Johnny is unmotivated, a poor student, and doubtful. Their friendship makes a very touching story. The author rips on Ronald Reagan, the Vietnam War, organized religion, and the Iran-Contra affair. Some very strange things happen in this story. Some parts made me laugh out loud. John Irving can describe situations so clearly I can totally picture it in my mind.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...