Sunday, September 26, 2010

Apple Tree 4-Orange-Sue 0

That consarnit Haralson apple tree has beat me again.  I had to admit it but I've been outsmarted by an apple tree repeatedly.  About 18 years ago I thought I was smart to build a permanent compost pile right next to the apple tree. I grew up with apple trees.  I know picking up apples can be a drudgery.  I thought, "Oh, how easy and convenient it will be to toss the apples right from the ground into the compost - it will be fun."  Oh, that was true for the first ten years.  Then the apple tree realized what a wonderful source of water, nutrition, and minerals it could find.  So the apple tree grew its roots up into the compost and lapped it up.  In case you don't know, once an apple tree sends up it's roots into your compost and twirls it's rooty fingers around it, removing the compost is just about impossible.  Pulling up sod with your bare hands would be easier.  The first time I noticed this problem, I pulled up all the roots and dug a trench around the compost bin.  Didn't work.  Apple Tree 1 - Orange Sue 0.  The next year I removed six inches of soil and roots inside the bin.  Also didn't work.  Apple Tree 2 - Orange Sue 0.  Then I put a small piece of tin down.  Didn't work again.  Apple Tree 3 - Orange Sue 0.  After seeking advice from some Master Gardeners, I put four layers of landscaping fabric AND a large piece of metal (3 feet long).  I really thought this would work.  Sadly, I was wrong and that is why I was on my hands and knees pulling compost out of the bin with my bare hands.  Strong and sinewy roots poked through the fabric and wound their way throughout the compost, growing around and above the piece of metal.  For crying out loud!  I couldn't roll up the landscape fabric because the apple tree roots would not let go.  I had to place my shovel over them and JUMP on it to cut them.  By the time I was done sweat was dripping off my face and I felt like I had been in a wrestling match with an apple tree.  OK, what are my options?  I could move the compost pile.  That would be a huge hassle.  I'd have to take all those boards apart, dig out the corner posts, repair the garden fence (because the compost pile makes up part of the fence), move it to a new spot, reassemble the bin, and then open the fence in that spot.  Another option would be to use a tarp, line the bin at least six inches up all three sides, and hope the apple tree roots cannot punch through a tarp.  Would that work?  Any other ideas?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...