Sunday, September 19, 2010

It Was No Hanging Sword of Damocles

Offspring #1 came by to help me remove a danger from my driveway. For years, a dead branch has been threatening to fall on the parking area.  Every time the wind blows hard I go out there to check if it has come down and it never does. This summer part of it broke off.  A long section of tree dangled in the branches of a different dead tree.  The uppermost part of the trunk pointed at the driveway like a sword of Damocles.  It looked like it was suspended by a single horse hair.  Offspring #1 tied a hammer to a rope, threw it over the branch and pulled and pulled and pulled. He pulled in every direction.  That tree trunk was like the upside-down wooden legs of a virgin with virginal ankles locked together.  It wasn't coming down without a fight.  So he started up the chain saw to take both trees down at once. Trees falling down excite me.  I watched it come crashing down right where he expected.  The entire driveway was covered with limbs.  Then he said, "OK, see ya later."  Like he was going to leave me with this mess?  I knew he was kidding.  We spent hours picking up branches and toting wood.  Isn't he a nice guy? 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...