Sunday, September 5, 2010

So Cold This Morning

This morning I looked out my kitchen window. I noticed steam rising out of one of the compost bins. I have a round compost bin made out of black plastic. The lid was off the top. Steam rose straight into the air forming curls about three feet high before they dissipated into the air. The air was still so the steam went straight up. It almost looked like a witch's brew out there. Things must really be cooking in there. The contents are leaves from last fall, egg shells, kitchen waste, wood chips, and chicken excrement. The bin comes apart easily. I think tomorrow I will take it apart, move it a few feet, and shovel the contents back in, mixing them up in the process. That compost should be ready to throw on the garden in three weeks. After that, the bin will be ready to fill with fall leaves.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...