Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hidden Falls

Today both offspring and I went to Northfield to celebrate a birthday. We found it difficult to get around because of "Jesse James Days." It's odd for a city to say, "Yeah! This was the day our bank got robbed many years ago by a famous bandit. Lets remember this crime by having a rodeo, a parade and a carnival!" We saw lots of people wearing western gear. We decided to work up an appetite by visiting the hidden falls at the Big Woods State Park in nearby Nerstrand. I've gotten lost before trying to get there. This time I knew how to get there but couldn't because of the parade. We got lost again. Eventually we always find the place. We had a beautiful day for a hike. We sat on a bench appreciating the falls. I had waded into the pool beneath the falls so my feet were cold and numb. A man and a woman sat on the creek bank, heads together, taking their own picture. From the angle of the camera, we thought we were probably in the background of their photo. So which one of the three of us makes a face and hams it up for the camera? I won't name names but it was the youngest and evidently the less mature one. After our hike we had dinner at Chipati - an Indian restaurant in town. We sat outside on the porch. We had garlic non bread and samosas. We got some chutney to go with that. One chutney was green and spicy. The other was red and had chunks. The red chutney had a strong onion taste. The chunks were crunchy. I could not figure out what the chunks were or even if they were fruit or vegetable. An onion taste was so strong I couldn't taste anything else. So I asked, "What kind of chutney is this?" Our waitress replied, "Onion chutney." Oh, that was obvious once I knew. I'm just not used to onion looking as red as fresh red peppers. I had chana masala - chickpeas in a gravy that was spicy enough to make my nose run and eyes water. Today was a good day.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Actually, Jesse James days is the Defeat of Jesse James Days, because they didn't get robbed. They beat him! Yay! Northfield's claim to fame!
Also, garlic naan.
Thanks for celebrating the day with me! It was fun!

Sue said...

dear Editor. No, just kidding. I like your feedback. We did have a fun day. Were you surprised to see your brother in the car? I didn't tell you he was coming on purpose.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...