Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Big Year

I heard about a movie in production right now starring Jack Black, Owen Wilson and Steve Martin.  All the birders are talking about it.  The movie is called "The Big Year," and is about a contest.  Anyone can enter this contest.  All you have to do is start on January first and write down each and every  bird you see.  The person with the highest number wins the satisfaction of having the highest number.  I really want to see this movie when it comes out.  To prepare myself, I read the book on which the movie is based.  The book, "The Big Year - A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession," is written by Mark Obmascik.  The book is very funny and I was surprised at the end to read that Mark is a news reporter and the characters were real birders from 1998.  That makes it even funnier.    Most people might think bird watching is boring much less reading a book about bird watching.  I found it to be highly entertaining but then I enjoy watching birds.  Who knows, I have a little notebook.  Maybe I should start a list myself on January first.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...