Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ely Photos

I stopped by Lake Vermillion on the way to Ely.The water was very cold and clear.  I watched a loon diving.  I tried to predict it's path under water and where it would come up.  I am not very good at predicting loon behavior.
I wanted to see a moose and a grouse.  I spent dawn and dusk in the Superior National Forest searching.  Sometimes I got up too early and had to wait in my car for enough daylight to walk safely.  I would park on the lumber roads and walk.
Sometimes I drove around looking for moose and other times I picked a good swampy area I thought a moose would like and just waited there.  I love how the twilight is reflected in the water in this shot.
Some areas had a lot of birch trees.
I am pretty sure a bear did something in the woods here.  Seeing a bear would have been cool.  I don't think a bear would attack me but I probably would have wet myself.  I didn't see any bear so I don't know.
No luck at this prime moose spot either.  This was located on the Moose creek so I thought for sure I would have some luck.
I drove on the logging roads until the driving got a little dangerous and then I would walk.  I never saw a moose or a grouse but I had fun trying.  I guess I'll just have to go back until I meet my goals.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...