Friday, October 15, 2010

Compost Bin

My compost bin lined with a double layer of tarp to prevent apple tree roots from invading.
I lined my compost bin with a green tarp.   This is how it looked before I added any fall leaves.  What do you think?  Will this keep the apple tree from sending it's roots into my compost?  Will I have an easier time emptying the compost in September, 2011 than I did last month?  I hope this works.  This apple tree has gotten the better of me before.  Right now the compost bin is half full of leaves.  I mow and bag the clippings every weekend.  I empty the bag of grass clippings and mulched leaves into the bin.  I top it with vegetable trimmings from the kitchen, egg shells, chicken manure, and soil.  I think the compost will be more difficult to turn.  Normally I use a garden fork.  I want to be careful not to rip the tarp so I might have to use a garden shovel when I get down to the lowest layer.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...