Wednesday, October 13, 2010

We Are All Chileans Today

Have you been watching the rescue of the men trapped in the mine in Chile today?  The rescue efforts are so moving.  I can't watch without tears streaming down my face.  Even reading about the rescue efforts make me cry.  I've been paying close attention ever since it happened.  I read about the one man who was trapped who got in trouble because his wife and his girlfriend were waiting and praying for his safety.  The two women didn't know about each other before he was trapped in the mine.  I read about the other man who got engaged while he was trapped.  Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.  The truth is so moving.  Someone is going to write a book about this story and I, for one, am going to read it. The story is being watched and followed all over the world. Watching the rescue live binds together as people from the same species.  Back in 1987, I felt some of the same feelings when I watched poor Jessica on television. Remember Jessica?  The baby in the well?  I remember watching that on television with tears streaming down my face.  I wondered if I didn't go a little overboard on that one because for months afterward, three year old Offspring #1 would suddenly drop to his knees, put his face on the carpet with his hands around his mouth and yell, "Jessica?  Jessica!" 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...