Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Live and Let Live

Offspring #2 and I were watching an old episode of the Office last night.  Someone on the show asked, "Live and let live - where does that phrase come from?"  Another character answered, "James Bond."   I know that isn't true but it got me thinking.  I had no idea where the phrase live and let live comes from yet I use it a lot.  When things get stressful and I start getting up in some one else's business, I use that phrase on myself.  I want to run my life so I try to give others the same freedom.  I want to be tolerant of differences because our differences makes life beautiful.  So I googled the phrase and learned that it's been around for almost 400 years.  The phrase was first published in 1622 and is Dutch in origin.  Before nations had evolved, the merchants made the laws that governed Europe, North Africa and Asia Minor.  Sadly, this phrase hasn't ended the human act of war.  Maybe the pen isn't mightier than the sword.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...