Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Sign Of Winter

Last weekend my yard was full of thrushes.  A dozen robins flew back and forth between the bird bath and the crab apple trees.  A group of five bluebirds were hanging out on the deck as well.  This weekend they're gone.  The bluebirds have been replaced by the dark eyed juncos.  I think the juncos are as cute as a button.  They have a roly-poly little body that reminds me of an Easter egg because most of their body is gray and their little round tummies are white - like they weren't completely submerged in the Easter egg dye.  I am glad to see the juncos return from their Arctic summer grounds but I will miss the flashy color and beautiful songs of the thrushes.  I am discouraged to know that although Minnesota has over 400 bird species in the summer, we have less than 30 in the winter.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...