Monday, May 23, 2011

Storm Damage

What a wet and wild weekend. I can't remember ever getting 4 inches of rain in such a short amount of time.   One yard in my neighborhood is so flooded that the water extends halfway across the street and is draining all the way across the street toward the golf course.  I ended up driving through some down pours and storms this weekend.  While I drove, I thought about how the birds were faring.  Never did I think that an entire heron rookery would be destroyed.  The rookery near the North Mississippi River Park was blown over.  Injured herons are on the ground.  A birding instructor once told me about banding herons.  He said it was extremely dangerous because they aim for your eyes with their beaks.  Lucky that many herons were not still at the rookery at this time of year or we would have suffered a large loss of herons.  Capturing an injured heron would not be a good idea.  The sharp beaks and long necks make them very dangerous.  Mother Nature - both cruel and beautiful.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...