Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Kelly

Last night I slept with the windows open.  At 3:18 a.m. I was awakened by an unfamiliar sound.  I listened to a chorus of barking and yelping from the north and east.  This barking wasn't from any neighborhood dogs.  These were coyotes howling.  Wow.  I haven't heard coyotes at night from my house ever before. Not as haunting as wolves, coyotes sound pretty awesome at night until I realized my chicken, Kelly, is still out there on walkabout.  She's outside, alone, and on her own.  Chickens have small brains.  I doubt Kelly even remembers this place where she has lived for three years.  My neighbor reported seeing a fox leaving my yard on Sunday morning.  I hope Kelly is still out there and will come home.  This is possible.  But if not, I hope the end came swift and quick.      D :

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...