Monday, May 2, 2011

South of Broad

Reading this novel was, for me, like eating a Thanksgiving dinner with a full and delicious menu that included tidbits you don't usually get to eat.  South of Broad is a very satisfying novel.  Pat Conroy also wrote The Prince of Tides and like that book, this one had disturbing elements of mental illness, criminal behavior, and child abuse.  The author does a nice job of portraying the culture of Charleston, South Carolina; the haves and the have-nots; whites and blacks, straight and gays.  He obviously loves the city and now, after reading this book, I want to visit there myself.  Conroy is a little melodramatic but I like the way he uses his words and I really enjoyed reading his book.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...