Friday, May 20, 2011

Finished Planting Vegetables

This photo shows a couple things I came upon while planting the garden.  On the right is a ring-top pull tab.  These sharp metal objects covered nearly all the pop and beer cans from the mid 1960's until the mid 1970's.  They were replaced by tabs that stay attached to the can because people threw them on the ground.  Besides the unsightly litter, these ring top lids were sharp and dangerous.  My house was built in 1975.  I wonder who drank the pop or beer and then threw this lid to the ground only to be dug up in 2011?  On the left is an elf on a metal stake.  This disabled green elf has a squash top hat and is a double amputee.  He has his hands held to the side of his head as if holding an invisible baseball bat.  I plan to wash him clean and put him in a flower pot.  Disabled elves need jobs too.  I hope this elf can find joy in his job after being buried in the garden for so many years.  I've never seen him before but I think he has a trustworthy appearance.  I think I'll name him Zeke.  As of today, the vegetable garden is planted.  This morning I planted four rows of potatoes in the rain.  I have 3 rows of russet and 1 row of blue potatoes.  I planted 9 tomato plants, 6 cabbages, 6 green peppers, green beans, carrots, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.  I also had garlic and some onion growing from last year.  I hope I get a plentiful harvest.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...