Friday, May 27, 2011

The Acme of Roads

She didn't have to twist my arm or talk me into it.  All she said was, "Want to go for a ride after work tonight?" and I was there.  We left Blaine at 4.  I wore my orange neck gaiter (that matches my jacket and safety vest) to keep me warm.  I had a sweater under my jacket and wind pants over my work pants.  We filled our gas tanks in Lexington.  We took County Road 4 out of Hugo.  Part of this road is very scenic with a tree canopy covering the road, a sharp turn, and a tunnel.  I was leading the first half of the trip.  I beeped my horn in the tunnel.  I think my horn sounds like the Roadrunner - meep meep!  My friend has a Harley (say that in a deep voice) with loud pipes.  She pulled in her clutch and gunned her engine twice inside the tunnel and I  had to laugh out loud.  Meep. Meep.  VROOM!!! VROOM!!!  Being the leader means you have to concentrate more.  You have to pay attention to the speed limit and where to turn.  The leader really shouldn't be slowing down to try and identify birds like I was.  Once we got to Taylors Falls we headed into Wisconsin.  We made a pit stop at a BP station and went south on Highway 65 which is now officially our favorite road to bike on.  After a couple miles, the road went up and the road went down.  We'd come to the crest of a steep hill and could not see very far ahead of ourselves.  Suddenly we were facing downward and then up again.  It was like a motor cross track.  I laughed with joy and so did she.  The road straightened out a bit.  We went past some farms.  A group of Holsteins stood in a pasture next to the road.  One cow had her head thrown back like she was looking up in the sky or like a coyote howling at the moon.  All the other cows were looking at her in surprise.  The smell of manure wafted into our helmets followed by the scent of lilacs blooming next to the farm houses.  The road got hilly again and we passed through a river valley.  We kept driving until we came to Star Prairie (or was it Prairie Star)?  Coming into New Richmond we passed a Harley Davidson dealership and saw a sign for Osceola.  We had lost all track of time but our stomachs told us it was time to head toward home.  We parked on the main drag in Osceola.  The coffee shop where we had planned to grab a sandwich was closed.  We went to PY's bar.  They serve veggie burgers and fresh cut potato fries.  By now it was almost 8 o'clock and time to head home.  My friend led the way back.  Back in Minnesota we headed south to Marine on the St. Croix. Ahead on the left side of the road I saw a male ring-necked pheasant.  What does this pheasant do as we approach?  Naturally he waits until the last possible moment and then flies up in front of my friend.  I am sure that for a moment, pheasant was all she could see.  He had to fill all her vision.  Pheasants get a kick out of scaring humans that way.  I was glad not to be in front.  We turned back onto County Road 4.  This time as we passed through the tunnel, I pulled in my clutch and gunned the engine twice.  The Suzuki engine just does not have the same effect as a Harley with loud pipes.  There is no comparison.  I guess I will stick with the Meep Meep.   Soon enough we were back on Hwy. 61 again and headed toward Hugo. The highway there has lots of bumpy cracks going across the road.  With my wind pants on, every bump made me slide forward.  I would adjust myself further back on the seat, go over a bump, and slide forward again.  County Road 14 through Centerville is much smoother and I can stay put on the seat.  I have never ridden in the dark and I want to get home before the sun totally sets.  I wave farewell to my friend in Coon Rapids.  As I head north on Hanson toward Bunker, my engine starts to sputter, falter, and eventually quit.  The gas tank on this bike must have a high intake valve.  I switch the tank to reserve, start the engine, and stop at a Superamerica for more gasoline.  I fill the gas tank as fast as I can because daylight is leaving fast.  I make it home by 9:15 and it is dusk.  What an awesome evening!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...