Thursday, June 9, 2011

Am I Round-Up Ready?

Morningstar Farms says, "We recognize that some Morningstar Farms® consumers may prefer foods that do not contain biotech ingredients, so we offer Morningstar Farms® Breakfast Patties Made with Organic Soy. At this time, all of our other products contain biotech ingredients. The ingredients we use have been approved by the appropriate regulatory authorities, and all of our products comply with food labeling requirements in markets where they are sold throughout the world."  By biotech, they mean genetically modified soybeans; modified to be sterile (so the farmer always has to buy more seed every year) and resistant to Round-Up (a weed killer).  And I eat a lot of Morningstar Farm products instead of meat.  Does that mean I am Round-Up ready?  If it meant I could avoid getting poison ivy this year, it might be worth it.  Seriously though, I am considering changing my diet to exclude all genetically modified foods.

PS I saw a hairy woodpecker pecking away at the suet this evening.  This is the first time I've seen a hairy woodpecker in my yard. I suspect it was there two days ago but I couldn't get a close enough look at it to be sure.  Tonight I was putting more grape jelly in the oriole feeder when the hairy woodpecker landed just a few feet away.  it was definitely a hairy, not a downy woodpecker.  The hairy woodpecker's beak is at least as long as it's whole head. Downy's have a shorter beak.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...