Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chickens Can Purr

I was working in the garden today.  I hilled the potatoes again. The rain has helped them because they're already flowering.  I hoed the tomatoes, onions, garlic, cabbage, peppers, carrots, sunflowers and pumpkins.  I left the milkweed plants stay - I don't mind those weeds because they attract Monarch butterflies.  I thinned the carrots and tied up the tomato plants to the stakes.  As I worked, the chickens came into the garden through the compost heap.  Where I had already scratched the soil with the hoe, they scratched deeper and ate the bugs they found.  I saw Meredith eat a 5  inch long angleworm.  I'd prefer to keep the angleworms in the soil but I hoped the chickens would eat the potato bugs (when they came) so I let them stay in the garden.  Pamela got tired of scratching and eating bugs.  She dug a deeper hole between the tomatoes and laid down in it.  She stretched out her wings and laid on her side and wiggled herself down deeper into the earth.  Then she purred.  She purred like a cat.  At the end of each purr segment her tail feathers would tighten up and grow taller. She leaned to the other side to get the sandy soil deep into her feathers and purred some more. Aww, so cute.  She sounded so content.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...