Sunday, June 12, 2011

E B Row

Yesterday the leader of our bird walk suggested that when talking with children about birds, use E B Row.  The letters of E B Row will help kids identify birds: E for eye, B for beak or bill (same thing), R for rump (always good for a chuckle with kids), O for outer tail feathers, and W for wings.  These letters will help adults identify birds too.  I often will remember the color of the back or belly and forget all these other details.

Today we saw an out-of-shape woodchuck crossing the yard.  The woodchuck stayed on the path I had mowed earlier this morning.  It would run for five feet, stop, stand up and look around, catch it's breath, run for five feet, stop, catch it's breath, etc.  I like woodchucks. They look like minature bears to me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...