Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Widow For One Year

My book club chose A Widow For One Year by John Irving.  I LOVED it.  I'm a big Irving fan.  People offered opinions as we went around the room.  Our leader, who reads every book every time said she couldn't finish it because she was disgusted.  Wow!  Others said the sex was degenerate and perverted.  I don't disagree but I still loved the book.  But it seemed, as the discussion progressed, that I was the only one who really liked it.  Critics loved it.  The New York Times thought it was great.  So I am not alone in my opinion.  All agreed that some parts were hilarious.  I think you just can't take the book too seriously. Irving is a comic writer.  All his books are funny and all have some kind of perverted sex.  It's his character development, his comedy, and his landscape descriptions that make him great.  On the way home tonight I stopped at the library and got another Irving book plus a Jodi Picoult book on CD to read.  Can't wait for both of them.  If books are like food, I felt like I was bringing home a big box of Belgian chocolates and a case of Florida oranges.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...