Friday, June 24, 2011

Dear Deer

I was headed out the door at 6:50 when a bird caught my eye.  I went to the picture window to see a catbird eating grape jelly.  First the female catbird ate and then the male catbird took her place.  In the back of the yard I noticed two white tail deer.  One stood facing me and one stood with it's back to me.  The deer facing me was a buck.  I could see the antlers just starting to form a fork.  The buck was licking the doe's neck.  And the doe was licking the buck's neck.  They vigorously licked each other's neck, face, and ears.  Did it taste salty?  Was this pure affection?  I watched for at least three minutes and they never stopped licking each other.  They looked so sweet.  But some people got to make a living and don't have the time to watch deer necking all dang morning.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...